A bright yellow root that fights depression, lowers the risk of cancer and relieves pain naturally exists. After talking to a handful of our friends, we realized not many people are aware of the amazing Southern Indian root, Turmeric! This week’s #bebetter52 challenge is to try and incorporate this amazing spice into your daily routine whether it be in tea, latte, or a savory dish with this new spice added. You can find the root at certaingrocery stores.
Turmeric has a special chemical compound called curcuminoids that are one of the most potent natural pain relievers out there and one of nature's most powerful antioxidants. When combined with black pepper, the pepper can actually increase the bioavailability of curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, by nearly 2,000%.
Here is a list of the proven health benefits of Turmeric:
1. Increases The Antioxidant Capacity of The Body
2. Boosts Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor, Linked to Improved Brain Function and a Lower Risk of Brain Diseases
3. Lowers Your Risk of Heart Disease
4. Can Help Prevent (And Perhaps Even Treat) Cancer
5. May be Useful in Preventing and Treating Alzheimer’s Disease
6. Helps Reduce Arthritis Pain, Inflammation and Stiffness with Curcumin Supplementation
7. Has Incredible Benefits Against Depression
8. Helps Delay Aging and Fights Age-Related Chronic Disease
If you are feeling adventurous and want to try a Turmeric Latte, here is a black pepper turmeric latte recipe to open up a new world of health benefits!
● 1 teaspoon Ground Turmeric Root
● 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ceylon Cinnamon
● 1/8 teaspoon Ground Ginger Root
● 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
● 1/8 teaspoon Ground Cayenne Chili Pepper
● 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
● 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
● 1 tablespoon honey
1. Heat milk in microwave for 2 to 3 minutes on high or on stovetop until it reaches a boil.
2. Pour heated milk into a blender and add honey, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, cayenne and vanilla extract. Blend on high for 10 seconds, then on low for 5 seconds.
3. Pour into a mug and garnish with 1 star anise and a sprinkle of black pepper. Enjoy immediately.
If you prefer tea over lattes, many brands sell turmeric blends, including my personal favorite brand, NUMI! Trader Joe’s also has a nice herbal tea with ginger and turmeric I drink every night before bed. Head over to your closest Trader Joe’s and pick up one! If you would rather make your own tea, here are a few steps to do so!
1. Bring four cups of water to a boil.
2. Add one teaspoon of ground turmeric and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Strain the tea through a fine sieve into a cup; add honey and/or lemon to taste.
4. Add a pinch of black pepper to increase absorption.
Lastly, if you prefer to gain all the nutritious benefits from turmeric through meals, here is a link to delicious recipes all containing turmeric!