This week’s #bebetter52 challenge is a perfect way to start the New Year and detox from the holidays. The challenge is to drink room temperature lemon water first thing in the morning.
Why room temperature and why first thing in the morning? Well, according to Water Benefits Health, water at room temperature helps preserve the enzymatic and energetic properties of the lemon. By boiling the water, you lose some of the enzymes and with ice water, you hinder the lemon's digestive impact. Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning is beneficial because it helps wake up your metabolism and digestive system.
SO WHY LEMON WATER?
There are many benefits to drinking water and there are many benefits to consuming lemons. When you put them together, amazing things happen. Adding a little flavor to our water helps us drink more of it. When we drink more water we stay hydrated, which boosts the immune system, activates internal organs, aids digestion and lowers blood pressure (healthalkaline.com).
WHEN YOU ADD LEMON TO WATER, YOU BOOST ITS BENEFITS TREMENDOUSLY.
Great source of VITAMIN C, which helps to boost your immune system.
Helps with DIGESTION, which includes preventing constipation, diarrhea and other indigestion issues.
Flushes out TOXINS by aiding in the process of purifying the liver.
Reduces JOINT PAIN by decreasing the amount uric acid deposited in joints.
1. Try drinking lemon water 30 minutes before meals to aid with digestion and enhance nutritional absorption.
2. If you weigh less than 150 pounds, squeeze half of a fresh lemon into 8-12 ounces of water. If you weigh over 150 pounds, squeeze a whole lemon into 24-32 ounces.
3. Your body can only metabolize about 12 ounces of water at a time so when drinking more than 12 ounces, spread the consumption of water over the course of a couple of hours to get the most benefit.
4. Lemons contain pectin fiber, which assists in fighting hunger cravings.
5. Lemons contain more potassium than apples or grapes! Potassium stimulates brain and nerve function.
6. Lemons are even good for the skin. The antioxidants in lemon juice help not only to decrease blemishes, but wrinkles too. Lemon juice can also be applied to scars and age spots to lighten them.
7. Water is the body's main chemical component. Every system in the body depends on water to function properly, as the water flushes toxins out of vital organs.
WARNING: IF YOU DRINK TOO MUCH LEMON WATER AND TOO QUICKLY, YOU MIGHT EXPERIENCE DISCOMFORT SUCH AS A HEADACHE, STOMACHACHE AND FATIGUE (WATER BENEFITS HEALTH). IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS, REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF LEMON YOU SQUEEZE INTO EACH GLASS AND DRINK OVER A LONGER PERIOD OF TIME.
Although we recommend drinking lemon water at room temperature, drinking lemon water at different temperatures is better than not drinking it at all.
You can drink cold water by adding ice and lemon.
You can drink hot water and add lemon and even some honey.
You can add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
You can use lemon essential oil instead of lemon juice.
Perhaps substituting lemon water every morning can kick your coffee habit, too! We are excited for you to experience all the health benefits of lemon water alongside us this week.
Remember for every completed challenge money will be donated to Every Mother Counts. If you post a picture on social media then extra money will be donated.