This week’s #bebetter52 challenge is a perfect way to start the New Year and cleanse from the holidays. The challenge is to drink room temperature lemon water first thing in the morning.
Why room temperature and why first thing in the morning? Well, according to Water Benefits Health, water at room temperature helps preserve the enzymatic and energetic properties of the lemon. By boiling the water, you lose some of the enzymes and with ice water, you hinder the lemon's digestive impact. Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning is beneficial because it helps wake up your metabolism and digestive system.
SO WHY LEMON WATER?
There are many benefits to drinking water and there are many benefits to consuming lemons. When you put them together, amazing things happen. Adding a little flavor to our water helps us drink more of it. When we drink more water we stay hydrated, which boosts the immune system, activates internal organs, aids digestion and lowers blood pressure (healthalkaline.com).
NUTRITION OF DRINKING ONE GLASS OF LEMON WATER
· Calories: 9
· Sugars: Less a than 1 gram
· Vitamin C: 25% of the RDI
· Folate: 1% of the RDI
· Potassium: 1% of the RDI
WHEN YOU ADD LEMON TO WATER, YOU BOOST ITS BENEFITS TREMENDOUSLY.
· Great source of VITAMIN C, which helps to boost your immune system.
· Helps with DIGESTION, which includes preventing constipation, diarrhea and other indigestion issues.
· Flushes out TOXINS by aiding in the process of purifying the liver.
· Reduces JOINT PAIN by decreasing the amount uric acid deposited in joints.
1. Lemons contain pectin fiber, which assists in fighting hunger cravings.
2. Lemons contain more potassium than apples or grapes! Potassium stimulates brain and nerve function.
3. Lemons are even good for the skin. The antioxidants in lemon juice help not only to decrease blemishes, but wrinkles too. Lemon juice can also be applied to scars and age spots to lighten them.
4. Water is the body's main chemical component. Every system in the body depends on water to function properly, as the water flushes toxins out of vital organs.
Warning: If you drink too much lemon water and too quickly, you might experience discomfort such as a headache, stomachache and fatigue. If you experience any of these symptoms, reduce the amount of lemon you squeeze into each glass and drink over a longer period of time.
1. Although we recommend drinking lemon water at room temperature, drinking lemon water at different temperatures is better than not drinking it at all.
2. You can drink cold water by adding ice and lemon.
3. You can drink hot water and add lemon and even some honey.
4. You can add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
5. You can use lemon essential oil instead of lemon juice.
Don’t forget report your completed challenge on www.bebettermovement.com, so that we can donate money to the charity Every Mother Counts. Also, if you post a picture of your completed challenge on social media with #bebetter52 extra money will be donated.