Coconut Oil #bebetter52
Most people don’t know this, but coconut oil works miracles. Its functions are versatile and practically endless.
This week we’re challenging you to Be Better by using coconut oil. You will be amazed by the many ways it makes you feel better.
Coconut oil is an excellent source of MCFAs, or medium-chain fatty acids. These function as a quick energy source or can be converted into ketone bodies in the liver. Because fatty acids increase our energy expenditure, they help us burn fat and lose weight. The ketone bodies, on the other hand, decrease the risk of seizures in epileptics and can be used as an energy source when glucose isn’t available.
Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia across the globe, occurring primarily in elders. Studies included in AuthorityNutrition have shown that the fatty acids in coconut oil boost function in Alzheimer’s patients due to the medium-chain triglycerides.
According to "Coconut Oil: Why it is Good For You," coconut oil has been shown to decrease cholesterol levels because of its thyroid-stimulating properties. With an adequate thyroid hormone, cholesterol is converted into anti-aging steroids and other vital substances that prevent heart disease, senility, and obesity.
Also, coconut oil kills germs. Whether it’s bacteria, viruses, or fungi, the MCFAs in coconut oil do the trick. Surprisingly enough, coconut oil even aids in expelling head lice and tapeworms, as well as helping to treat candidiasis and athlete’s foot, both fungal infections. What can’t coconut oil do?
When applied topically, coconut oil can moisturize our skin and protect against hair damage. One study even depicts its effectiveness as sunscreen, blocking roughly 20 percent of the sun’s ultraviolet rays. When applied to the face, it helps strengthen underlying tissues and removes dead cells on the skin’s surface.
Want to know other miscellaneous uses for coconut oil? Check out Dr. Mercola's article on countless uses for coconut oil, which include our following favorites:
- Make-up remover
- Shaving lotion
- Insect repellent (just mix coconut oil with high-quality oils such as peppermint, lemon balm, or rosemary)
Start cooking with coconut oil, and we guarantee that your overall health will improve. It is the ideal oil to cook with, as it can withstand very high temperatures, unlike other oils. Be Better, and begin using coconut oil this week. Continue the habit to see all the amazing health benefits unfold!
More on Coconut Oil:
- Naturalnews: Coconut oil reduces the work load on the liver and can help dissolve kidney stones.
- Swansonvitamins: Need 50 creative ideas for using coconut oil? One of our favorites is making homemade coconut granola (recipe in above article!)
- Doctoroz: One 2009 study found that women who consumed about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil daily for 12 weeks had lowered amounts of abdominal fat, one of the most difficult fats to lose.
- Greenthickies: Check out 71 coconut oil benefits and interesting ways to use coconut oil, such as on toast, added to smoothies or hot drinks, or used instead of butter in baked goods.
- Organicfacts: Coconut oil is great for the skin, and can even help delay the appearance of wrinkles.