Apple cider vinegar has been used for years as a home remedy to treat and prevent a variety of aliments. Recently, apple cider vinegar has re-emerged as a staple in many homes to lower blood pressure, improve diabetes, help with acid reflux and aid in weight loss. Although debate is ongoing regarding the exaggerated benefits of apple cider vinegar, most scientific sources agree that vinegar offers benefits due to its acetic acid, potassium, magnesium, probiotics and enzymes.
According to Superfooly.com, “Apple Cider Vinegar, in addition to the vast majority of fruits and vegetables, are indeed very acidic substances when you consume them. However, once they’re inside your body and you metabolize them, they promote alkalinity. This is due to the metabolic and chemical processes which take place to break down and digest them.”
This week’s #bebetter52 challenge is to try apple cider vinegar as an aid to digestion. Simply dilute apple cider vinegar with a cup of water or tea before drinking. If you cannot stand the taste, add a little bit of honey. Apple cider vinegar has been proven to reduce gas, combat constipation and reduce heartburn.
However, before you buy a bottle of the good stuff, it is important you understand what type of Apple Cider Vinegar to buy and how to use it.
Tips when buying Apple Cider Vinegar:
1. Avoid Plastic bottles. Plastics can be made from harmful toxic materials.
2. Make sure the bottle says certified organic.
3. You want vinegar to be raw, meaning it has not been filtered and will not have any added artificial flavors.
4. You want the brown stuff floating around the bottle of the bottle. It is called the Mother. Although it might appear gross, it contains all the live bacteria and enzymes.
5. Unpasteurized vinegar helps keep the good bacteria. When it is pasteurized, the vinegar is heated which destroys all bacteria, including the good kinds.
One of the most recommended brands is Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.
It is important to consume the proper qualities of apple cider vinegar to prevent the negative side effects of over consuming.
Here is a great resource from Curejoy.com
Some ways vinegar can benefit you:
• Indigestion and heartburn: Drink 2 tsps. of ACV mixed in a glass of water with each meal.
• Constipation: Drink 2 tsps. of ACV mixed in a glass of water after waking up in the morning, during the main meal of the day, and just before bedtime.
• Diarrhea: Drink 1 tsp. of ACV mixed in 1½ cups of water, 5–6 times a day.
Here are some additional resources regarding the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar from Superfooly.com